Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Cowled Crusader


This week’s SAS involves the Caped Crusader, the Gotham Gangbuster, the Cowled Crusader...THE BATMAN! This week’s issue is Batman #201 (1968) and entitled “Batman’s Gangland Guardians!” So this is the first official silver age Batman to land in “THE” Collection and one of 6 sensations that I landed at my first live auction a few weeks ago. The auction was an estate sale and there were 18 total comics up for auction, in lots of 6. So with the comics being divided up into 3 lots of 6 comics the winner of each lot had their choice of what they wanted. Before the auction there was a preview of all the items so I got to wander about and inspect these silver age sensations up close and personal. The comics were bagged and all spread out over a table and upon inspection I discovered that amongst the comics were Hawkman #1 and Hawkman #2, both in Good + to Very Good condition and could have brought in a nice chunk of change in resale! So I priced all the comics that had good resale value of the 18 and sat back down in my seat to scope out the competition and identify potential threats to my acquisition of the winged wonder of Thanagar. I identified one major threat and I am apparently an expert marksman, amongst the ranks of Hawkeye and Green Arrow we’re talking about here, as I was 100% correct! As the auction began and item after item came up, my mark bid on NOTHING! When the comics came up the battle began. I knew that he knew the Hawkmans were the catch of the day and I knew that he knew SO DID I! I had my number that I was willing to pay, keeping in my mind that though it was Hawkman #1, Hawkman is still considered to be a second tier hero and therefore not as collectible which would reflect in my resale ability. So I drove him up, I backed down, he won the first lot and of course chose the lot with Hawkman #1 and #2 in it. Oh well, I still came away with a lot at a much cheaper price with some great comics, keeping three issues for myself and reselling the other three for a modest profit. Now, onward with Batman #201!  



What drew me to this issue was that on the cover the police were shouting that they had orders to shoot to kill Batman. Naturally, this piqued my attention. As the tale unfolds we learn that a west coast gang is trying to move in and take over the crime world in Gotham City. We discover that there is a group that is not so keen on a hostile takeover, a group consisting of: the Penguin, the Joker, Catwoman, the Mad Hatter, the Clue Master, the Getaway Genius, and Johnny Witts. The Penguin learns that this new gang is planning to start their takeover with a set of death traps for the Caped Crusader and the Penguin and the rest of the group agree that it would be better for business if Batman lived because if Batman dies then they will most certainly be next! So unbeknownst to the Cowled Crusader, at each of these “death traps”, a gangland member of Gotham City is lurking behind the scene to save The Batman: 



 



Finally the West Coast mob gets fed up and nabs Batman themselves with the plan to end their caped and cowled headache once and for all. 


In the end, the Dark Knight emerges victorious, though puzzled by his “luck” throughout the last few nights. Chalk it up to all in a day’s work for the Batman and his Gangland Guardians. I really enjoyed this story, penned by Gardner Fox. The tale kept its intrigue the whole way through and kept the reader wondering how Batman would avoid a planned and certain death on each page. My only complaint in this issue is the panel layout and transitions as I am not a fan of having to follow arrows to try and figure out where my next panel is. So other than the panel flow being a bit clunky, I would give this issue a B+ and definitely deem my first adventure with the Dark Knight a success! 

2 comments:

  1. Another fun post Jeff! Love the little Hawkman tale at the beginning! What I like about your blog is when you talk about your personal collecting stories! I would actually like to hear more of that in coming posts! Great job as usual!

    Hero out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a little more personal collecting spin can most definitely be added. If you can handle the extra dose of comic book geek love, then consider it added to the menu! Order up!

      Delete