Saturday, November 2, 2013

BEWARE THE ATOMIC GRENADE!

So I have to admit, I am and have always been a self proclaimed carrier of the "Make Mine Marvel" flag. However, as a comic book fan, and avid minion of those comics that fall into the category of silver age sensations (silver age comics or comics from 1956-1970), but by boycotting DC I was simply cutting out half of a truly beautiful and glimmering silver age universe. I knew the history that DC had with comic books, being the "inventor" of the superhero when Action Comics #1 hit the newstands in June of 1938. 


Ok, before anybody gets too excited, that is not my hand holding this issue open, it's google images. Perhaps a version of me in one of the myriad of universes in the DC multiverse? ;) I know that DC had begun with the ability to capture a reader's imagination. Honestly, just try and imagine what it must of been like to open this issue. Did you try and imagine? If yes, then DC just proved my point and still can capture a reader's imagination! If no, well there is always Marvel ;) Knowing the power that DC can pack into it's pages, and always having a certain affinity for Carmine Infantino's Flash and Gil Kane's Green Lantern, I've been diving into a lot of DC silver age sensations that I nabbed up and this week we have an issue that I was BEYOND excited to dive into and the Scarlet Speedster did not disappoint. 

 

I first added this issue to my Hopeful Additions to the Collection while reading a book that I HIGHLY recommend: "The Physics of Superheroes" by Dr. James Kakalios. In the book, Dr. Kakalios explores the physics principle of centrifugal force, a concept that is not only used in this issue, but used correctly and accurately describes a physics principle in a way that I would actually want to learn more about!


So I would just like to say thank you DC and thank you Flash for still being able to capture my imagination and curiosity!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Jeff! I think the NewDc52 can use these stories as a guideline for the brutal Flash series currently published. These fun one and done stories do not suffer from continuity and long storyline bloat that todays books have.

    Heres to the Silver Age!

    Hero out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a pure comic fan, I continue to be intrigued and pleasantly entertained by the simplicity and ingenuity of DC's sci-fi age of superheroes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Silver Age, especially DC, seemed to live by the motto "What is simple is beautiful". You don't want too simple though; it's all about the balance that a true story teller is able to achieve

    ReplyDelete